Over the last few weeks, we shared ways to be mindful in this blog post and this one. Today,lets incorporate some of those mindful ideas back into our metabolic balance plan by doing the following:
- Do not regret your past food choices. The past is the past. Use it to change your future but do not spend excessive amounts of time wishing you could change the past. You can’t. As you develop your mindful eating routines, don’t think about all those times you’ve messed up in the past. Focus your energy on making metabolic balance work for you today.
- Live Simply. Know the difference between what you want and what you need. In our society the two get mixed up but you can set yourself straight with a little practice. When it comes to eating, metabolic balance helps you remember what hunger feels like so that when you eat, you eat because you need to not because you have a desire to eat.
- Focus on being Neutral before eating. Do not eat food when you are emotionally upset. Bring your mood to neutral before you start eating. Here are some ways to get your mood back to neutral.
- Find a quiet place to sit and let yourself have time to compose yourself. If you are in a restaurant, excuse yourself and step outside for some fresh air or if that is not possible, go to the restroom. If you are in your house, go to your bedroom and stay there until you are feeling better.
- Grab your phone and distract yourself with someone positive and funny. Read a funny website or look through Pintrest. Avoid News websites or social media which may direct you to a volatile conversation.
- Play a game. There are thousands of silly games you can play on your smart phone that are meant to entertain without having to think. Play one until your mood changes.
- Take a walk. Ten minutes of physical activity can change your mood which helps you think more clearly and avoid eating emotionally.