- extra-lean ground beef
- Vegetable serving of diced onion, minced cauliflower, chopped bell peppers and diced tomatoes
- Vegetable stock (to cover ingredients)
- Dried basil
- Dried oregano
- Cloves garlic, crushed
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- olive oil
- Cook the onion and the garlic for 1 minute in a pan with a bit of vegetable broth.
- Add the beef and cook until the meat is browned.
- Place the beef and onion mixture in the slow cooker.
- Add the remaining ingredients and season to taste. Only used dried seasoning which can handle the long cooking time. Save fresh seasoning to add right before serving.
- Stir and make sure all ingredients are covered by water. Do not add too much vegetable broth. If you want a thinner soup, you can add more broth before serving.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
It is easy to place the ingredients into a slow cooker so you can have a warm homemade soup for lunch. I use a special container created by Alfi that is a bit wider at the mouth so that I can easily clean it but don’t need to use a spoon, I can just sip my soup as long as it isn’t too bulky. (works great with our carrot soup recipes. Don’t forget that you can add Rye croutons or a piece of rye bread to this meal and a piece of fruit. All will fit nicely into your lunch bag/tote.
If you are having issues with not feeling full, eat more soups. Soup helps you feel satiated longer. We will talk about that tomorrow. How to feel like you ate a meal and what to do when you don’t (You still want to eat but already ate.)