We can tell you to keep a food diary but how exactly do you do that? As metabolic balancers, we start our journeys with a food list that shows us the exact amounts of food that will help balance our bodies and lead us down the path of healthy living. Our food lists grow as we progress through the program. We are taught how to add new foods to our diet without disrupting our metabolic balance journey but our food lists do not magically fill our refrigerators or our stomachs as we go through our day.
It is up to us to keep track of our intake in a food diary.
Here are a few ways to track your food intake and everything else you want to remember about how and when you eat.
Use Your smart phone /ipad (digital devices)
Applications specifically for recording Food Diary Information
My Net Diary
My Plate by Livestrong – Although this app focuses on calories, Livestrong has a huge database of food and shows you the macronutrient content of your meal. The app also allows you to track your water and exercise. Do not use this app if you have an issue with counting calories. metabolic balance doesn’t focus on calorie counting but portion control and eating the proper foods.
Note Apps you can use to record data but are not specifically for Food Diaries.
Speech to text (free part of operating system)
Here are a few things for you to keep track of in your Food Diary:
- Record immediately so you are as accurate as possible.
- Write down what you’re doing while you’re eating―driving, watching TV, etc.
- Describe how you felt while you ate: angry, sad, happy, nervous, starving, bored?
- The diary is for you and your coach so be as honest as possible.
- Note your emotions and environment and how it affects your eating.