The original recipe calls for smoked eel. I’m not sure how readily available smoke eel is in your neighborhood you can order smoked eel online or use the alternate recipe I found on Immigrant’s table, where she added mushrooms to the soup.
- 1 Portion vegetables (Belgian endive, potatoes, sweet onions)
- 1 Portion mushrooms (protein variety) / or 1 portion smoked eel
- 1 Clove garlic
- 250ml Vegetable broth
- Salt and pepper
- chives for garnish
Cut Belgian Endive into fine strips.
- Slice onions into rings and cut potatoes into small cubes.
- Press the garlic in a garlic press.
- Place the vegetables in a pot with the vegetable broth and let cook for about fifteen minutes or until the potatoes are soft.
- Puree the mixture and add seasoning to taste.
- Saute the muschrooms in a little bit of olive oil and then cut into small pieces.
- Add small pieces of Muschrooms to the soup. If you decided to use smoked eel, cut the smoked eel into small pieces and add to the soup.
- Serve the soup with Rye Croutons or with a slice of metabolic balance rye bread.
If you want, you can substitute endive for Belgian endive. They are slightly different but will both work for this recipe.