With many people returning to in person work and kids going back to school, stress levels for many of us are increasing. Although it can be hard to reduce the amount of stress in our lives we can try to improve how we deal with it. Below are some of our favorite ways to help manage and reduce stress.
1. Eat a whole food based diet – low in sugar, low in processed foods
2. Exercise – this helps the body use the extra sugar in the blood, and decreases stress hormones
3. Rest and digest. Eating at your desk, or ‘on-the-go’ means your digestive system is trying to do two things at once. Eat slowly, take a break for lunch by going outside and removing screens!
4. Deep breathing – try a meditation app or just take 5 deep breaths several times a day. This helps calm our nervous system, reminding our bodies that we aren’t in immediate danger
5. Do something enjoyable! Spending time pursuing a hobby is a wonderful way for the mind and body to relax.
Which ones might you try today?
Adapted: Metabolic Balance Australia and New Zealand