Chai is an exotic drink that will fill your nostrils with an amazing blend of seasonings.
If you would like to include chai with your meal without making it a treat drink, remove the milk and the sugar.
- 2-inch piece fresh ginger, cut into thin rounds
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 teaspoons black peppercorns
- 10 whole cloves
- 6 cardamom pods
- 6 cups cold water
- 6 bags of black tea (preferably Darjeeling)
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
- Place the first five ingredients in a saucepan.
- Gently crush the spices in the pan.
- Add 6 cups of water and bring it to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and partially cover the pan.
- Gently simmer the spices in the water for ten minutes.
- Remove from pan from the heat.
- Add tea bags and let it stand for 5 minutes.
- Remove the tea bags.
- Add milk and sugar.
- Bring tea to simmer.
- whisk until sugar dissolves.
- Strain the ingredients into a teapot and serve.